Friday, September 18, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!


I absolutely love this time of the year! Indian summer & the autumn days just naturally bring with them an excitement, an anticipation of things to come. I have found this more so now that I live in Utah, than when I called Arizona home. Perhaps it's the change in the weather, the colors that begin to creep over the mountains or the "v's" of geese that fly over. Whatever the case, all I know is that the best things happen when September begins. For instance, what other time of year do you see makeshift stands on every corner selling corn, tomatoes, squash, apples & berries? And the pumpkin patches! What isn't magical about walking out into a huge field covered with pumpkins of every shape & size & searching row after row for just the perfect one to carve? I love it! Then there's the cooler evenings where the only thing you need to be happy is a sweatshirt & a mug of hot chocolate with a few marshmallows floating on top. Rows of corn become mazes & old clothes are sudden possibilities for a Halloween costume. The holidays are tauntingly just around the corner & somehow the past year, despite the rough spots, holds the promise of ending right where we want it to. Oh, & one more thing I forgot to mention...football, BYU football to be precise. I'm sure I could go all Robert Frost on this too, but I think it speaks for itself. 2-0 with a jump from the #20 spot to #9. Pass the chips & dip, this really is going to be the most wonderful time of the year!

2 comments:

THE HORSLEYS said...

Very well put. Aaron and I both also love fall time. There's always a neat feeling in the outdoor air, almost nostalgic. I used to always claim that spring was my favorite season--probably cuz I'm so sick of cold winter and snow by that time, but also because everything turns so green with flowers blooming, etc.--but spring is still kind of too chilly for me, like it's hanging onto winter still; it doesn't have that exciting, crisp feeling to the cooler air like autumn.

Ann said...

Hmmm...I hadn't thought of it that way, that the chill in the air in springtime is simply winter hanging on...I like that.