Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One Wednesday night

after song practice, Margene was introduced to the group. Most of the cast already knew her, but I had never met the energetic lady with the blond hair and contagious smile. After learning our names she arranged us all on the stage. It was time to begin learning the choreography for the numerous dance numbers in the show. I soon discovered I was all thumbs and that included my feet. "One, two, three, four, slap your hands on your knees, kick back your feet and slap them too. Wait, which hand for which foot? Then raise my hands in the air? You mean I have to be smiling and singing through all of this? I can't even breathe, much less sing." I kept going though, knowing I looked like an idiot, but determined that I would practice at home and come back next time prepared. The couples were then chosen for the waltzing scene of "It's A Grand Night for Singing." As usual, I was left without a partner to dance at the side of the stage with 2 other girls. (Story of my life.) The choreography, however, wasn't working for 3 single girls like it was for the couples, so I did a tiny bit of rearranging. With no one paying any attention to us, Heather, Beth and I practiced till we were in sync. Not bad, I thought. But suddenly, Margene began watching us and I got a bit apprenhensive. Surprisingly, I had no need to worry. Margene thought my twist to the choreography was perfect and had us show the other single girls how to do it. I was quite pleased and went home and practiced some more. Saturday morning I was all ready. I knew the steps by heart, at least the waltz ones. I still didn't know which foot to slap with which hand on the "I Owe Ioway" number, but that would come. I hoped. Practice began and it felt nice to be somewhat confident in what I was doing. That didn't last long, however. Margene was watching us again and decided that my "twist" was not going to work after all. In fact, having 3 girls right there at the front of the stage wasn't working. "Have you ever waltzed before?" Margene had taken my arm and was leading me up on the stage. "Ummmmm...not really," I stammered. Well, apparently it was time to learn and the next thing I knew I was receiving a crash course in the art of waltzing from my partner, Ben. One, two, three, step, turn. "One, two, three, step, turn. Whoops, I shouldn't have put my foot where Ben was stepping. Good thing I have ten toes. And are you quite sure we're supposed to be going this fast? You can see the edge of the stage, right? Because I certainly can't." All too soon, we moved on to the "hoedown number." The slapping seemed like a cinch now, compared to the tornado waltz we had just run through. Again before I knew what was happening, I was choreographed in the finale portion of "I Owe Ioway" to run up the steps to the 2nd tier of the stage and finish the dance with 5 of the leads. So now I was running, singing, slapping and smiling - with the leads, no less. What was going on? I wasn't sure if Margene was having an aneurysm, or if I was. I collapsed on my bed when I got home that day. I was thrilled at all my new parts, but how in the world was I supposed to remember everything.....

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Well from watching the play, you would never have know that you had trouble with the choreography in practice. Good job, ten toes!