Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The instructions

had been to call the "theatre hotline" Sunday evening to find out what part (if any) that we had received. Saturday I impatiently mulled over in my mind the possibilities. Would I be a vendor at the fair, a neighbor entering her famous pickles, or perhaps I hadn't even made it! Suddenly, I was no longer impatient, ignorance still had numerous possiblities, but the truth was final. Late Sunday night, I finally picked up the phone and listened to a long list of names and their corresponding parts. I held my breath and then...my name was spoken along with Heather's and we instantly became the official 4-H leaders of the play. The glamour of it all was staggering, but I remembered my application "full" of experience. I had to start somewhere and the bottom had very firm ground, so toss me a ladder, I was ready! Practices began soon and Heather and I were introduced to seven 10 year-old girls. Did I mention there were seven of them? I used to get paid for babysitting, but no, I had volunteered my services this time. What was I thinking? I did make a special effort to learn each of their names though and for a time, they were intimidated enough of me to follow what I told them. That quickly wore off, however, as we began the long Saturday morning practices. Soon my clothing and hair were being critiqued, my love life (or the lack thereof) was being analyzed and my instructions completely ignored. One girl dropped out and Mindy, Lexie, Sydnee, Sarah, Morgan and Lauren became "the troop," one of my favorite parts of the whole "State Fair" experience.....

1 comment:

caron said...

Thanks for the invitation! :) I'm glad you saw my inquiries.