Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Friday night arrived

and I was unusually calm. I was still feeling the relief from surviving the audition, so walking into the theatre I wasn't exactly prepared for the night's agenda. The stage was filled with people and by turns each one was stepping forward to sing a phrase from the song, "It's A Grand Night for Singing." Everyone was swaying with the music and seemed to be enjoying themselves. I was, however, slightly horrified. Though not difficult, the phrase that had been chosen was definately in the soprano range and I was an alto, plain and simple. So much for making a good impression. I stepped onto the stage at the end of the line of women and waited for my turn. The rhythm was contagious and soon I was swaying too, which was helpful in hiding my trembling legs. As the music made its rounds once again, the assistant director asked if I was ready. I nodded and took a step forward. Pasting another smile on my face, I sang out and was utterly relieved when I actually hit the high note. Granted it wasn't as clear and effortless as many of the others had been, but I had done it nonetheless! I breathed a sigh of relief and followed everyone off the stage. I claimed a chair next to Heather and watched as they began gathering the teenage girls onto the stage. They were reading for the lead part of Margy, the restless Iowa farmgirl that finds her true love at the State Fair. I very much wanted to try out for this part, but alas my age was my enemy. The male lead, a dashing young reporter, was sure to be a teenager and that would make me nearly twice his age. My only consolation was that they asked me how old I was and nearly fell over when I replied that I was 32. The readings began and I settled back in my seat. I knew very well I was destined to be an extra in the play and though disappointed at not even having the chance to try out for the lead, I was enjoying the efforts of those on stage. They were soon dismissed and all of the adults were ushered on stage. I was paired up with John, a gray-haired gentleman with a booming voice and a quirky sense of humor. Together we read the part for the mother and father in the play. I was completely out of my element, but I was determined not to be drowned in my partner's performance. And I came through nearly unscathed, however, halfway through our lines he slapped me on the shoulder and almost knocked me off the stage. Driving home that night, I began to wonder if all this anxiety was really worth it. Yes, I had now made it through the auditons and the call-backs, but I had no idea what might lay ahead of me.....

2 comments:

autumnrose said...

I like your blog. It's like reading a story...but I hate waiting for the rest even though I know how it ends...LOL!!

Patti

AMezNewz said...

I'm excited that you have a blog! YAHOO! I like your high school musical clip too! YUMMY!