Saturday, August 9, 2008

The theatre had once been

an old sugar factory and traces of once used equipment and materials could be sensed, if not seen when you walked in. A young girl of around 10 was already on the stage singing with all her might, the director and music director listening intently. I envied her apparent lack of fear. Taking an "application" and a pencil, I sat down with my friend, Heather, to fill out my measly amount of stage experience. Somehow, church plays, a children's theatre and a reader's theatre didn't seem so grand when it was being written down on paper. But it was too late to back out now, I already had a number and they were getting dangerously close to calling it. Perched on a folding chair to the side of the stage, I watched as others took their turns. The director seemed extremely kind and even when someone forgot the words or froze with anxiety, she encouraged them until they completed their audition. I relaxed ever so slightly, I could do this I thought, but then my number was called and the feeling of hyperventilation came back. I took a deep breath, handed my application to the director, my music to the pianist and stepped up onto the stage. This was it! I tried to keep my legs from shaking as the music introduction began. Pasting a smile on my face, I started to sing. I forgot a few of the words, but I kept going and within moments it was over and I was once again perched on my folding chair. What a relief, I almost felt giddy! It hadn't been a star performance, but it wasn't bad and I had been asked to come to call-backs that Friday evening. Walking out of the door that night was much nicer than walking into it and Heather and I parted company after a few sighs of relief. We would see each other on Friday when the real test of reading lines, singing with the rest of the cast and the decision of who received which part would begin.....

No comments: