Tuesday, August 5, 2008

To begin with,

have you ever gone to an audition? You know, fill out the form with all the experience you don't have, walk to the stage when your number is called, stand up in front of the director, sing 32 bars of an upbeat Broadway song and pretend that you're not about to faint on the spot audition? Well, I gave it a try this past April. I had been talking about auditioning for a play for months and one night my roommate, Jaime, came home and taped a flyer to my bedroom door. Auditions were being held for Rodgers & Hammerstein's "State Fair" at the local theatre only minutes from my house. What better opportunity would I have? So I started practicing. April 2 & 3 were the fateful days and I wanted to be ready. I practiced in my car, in my house, even at work when I thought no one was around. However, I don't think one is ever quite ready to possibly make a fool of themselves. That night, walking to the theatre door I wanted to hyperventilate, but that doesn't create a very favorable first impression. Besides I had a friend waiting and I wanted this. I wanted it more than I had wanted anything for a long time. So I gathered every last bit of courage I could, opened the door and walked in.....

1 comment:

JHorsefly said...

Hi, it's Amanda and Jaime! We like your countdown clock. I wish I was going to New York, sniff!