Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's a good thing

my brain is in control of my limbs, or I don't think my legs would have worked. But suddenly I was moving, marching up onto the stage chanting "Hup 2, 3, 4, Hup 2, 3, 4." Heather called "Halt" and we all froze into place as our director, Rosalie, began giving the audience instructions on theatre etiquette. Our role was to show the audience where the "portable" bathrooms were located. (Classy, I know.) Of course, the instant they were mentioned all 6 girls had "to go." So off we marched returning moments later with toilet paper stuffed and trailing from each girl. We got a few chuckles, but it was a relief to march back off the stage scolding the girls with every step. At this point, I must stop and make a "Hat Note." In several of the pictures I have attached, you will notice I am wearing a hideous Smokey the Bear hat. This adornment was added to Heather and I on our last dress rehearsal. We were both appalled, but one does not argue with the director over a simple hat, ridiculous or not. Fortunately, after the first few scenes, the costumer came to the dressing rooms and told Heather and I that it was our choice whether or not we wore the hats. As you can see from the other pictures, the hats went back to Smokey, so someone else could help prevent forest fires. You may also want to notice, on the last troop picture above, the roll of toilet paper tucked under Sydnee's bandelo and the long strand stuffed up Lauren's nose. Yes, we had to pull that out. Yick! Our next scene was not for several minutes, but the anxiety had somehow disappeared and now I was excited! I couldn't wait to get back on that stage! Soon the entire cast was "arriving" at the State Fair and our first group song and dance number began. It was crowded on that long, narrow stage, but no one seemed to mind. It was high energy, or nerves, take your pick. We mingled, bought cotton candy, watched as Wayne, one of the main characters, won the ring toss and put the "Hoop-La" barker to shame for cheating. We had our fortunes read by the resident gypsy, discussed the days plans for each event and exhibit that our 4-H girls should see and had a love song sung to us after Wayne had met his State Fair fling, Emily Arden. Scene after scene followed. I met my "husband" for a performance of Emily Arden, attended the pickle judging, won 2nd place in the mincemeat competition and tried not to laugh as the mincemeat judges became drunk from the brandy that Mrs. Frake had added to her blue ribbon mincemeat. If I had known what mincemeat was, I might have been jealous that I was beaten out of a first-place ribbon. However, I didn't have time to dwell on getting her recipe, because the next scene was "It's a Grand Night for Singing" and not only would I be putting my waltzing lessons to the test, but I had only bare minutes to change from 4-H Leader Extraordinaire to Mrs. Robert Mosley ready for an evening of dancing. The nerves kicked in again. They hadn't really disappeared, they were just hiding. Ben and I had to be the first ones back on the stage and I was having serious doubts as to whether I could really make it in time, much less control my legs again.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved this play! I enjoyed reading about your blog on your experiences, 11 months later... but better late than never. The hats were a nice addition, gave you more character, even though they were a tad more embarrassing at the same time. ;)