Sunday, October 18, 2009

Going Home


This past week I had the chance to go home to Arizona on vacation. I hadn't been home since Christmas, so setting my bags on my bed & looking around my room brought back a sweet tide of memories. Home was safe, home was where people loved you no matter what. Home was where I learned to work, to share, to serve & to love the Lord. Home was where my love of music, of literature & my independence was developed. It was so nice to be home! Unpacking & sweet memories, however, did not keep the days from passing quickly. Board games with my parents & sister, teaching my mom about the wonders of her computer, watching old movies, playing the piano & visiting friends & family occupied most of my time. However, "early to bed & early to rise" is one of my father's mottos, so the hours after 9pm were basically my own. And I used this time by pulling out a book I had been wanting to read for months & losing myself in it's pages. Again, it was lovely, especially knowing that I might awaken to the smell of homemade pancakes or french toast in the morning & then spend most of the day in my pajamas. Now I realize a trip to Hawaii or visiting Times Square may be much more exciting, much more appealing, but can it truly compare to going home? Returning last night to Utah, I caught up with my roommates on all the happenings while my sister & I were gone. It was the usual work, classes & callings, but one roommate had been keeping in close touch with her family regarding her grandfather who is extremely ill. It hit me as I began unpacking my suitcase, that this dear man, lying ill in a house he had loved & dreamed in for 60 years, was ready to go home. Home where he was safe. Home where a Father & Mother loved him unconditionally & a wife waited with open arms. Home where he had learned how to work, to share, to serve & to love the Lord. A Thanksgiving trip to Arizona is now in the works, but perhaps my plans of going home should also include my first home, my heavenly home. I don't know if there will be homemade pancakes or a piano there, (In my mind heaven wouldn't be heaven without them) but now, no matter what happens or where I am in life, I can always look forward & plan on Going Home.

5 comments:

THE HORSLEYS said...

Way to make me bawl, Ann. Sweet thoughts.

Horsley5 said...

Thanks for putting things into perspective! I'm sure Amy agrees with your comments about a piano in Heaven, but for me, it would be torture to make me play!!

Unknown said...

Ann, I would love to be your neighbor at our first home. Keeping thoughts of my friends and family as my neighbors keeps me from making decisions that would keep me from being so close to those I love.

Amanda said...

Wow that was a really beautiful post. You totally made me want to cry.

Kristen Brady said...

It is always so great to go home! Keeps you connected with who you are. Thanks for the great reminder.